Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wisdom

Steve unfortunately lost some wisdom recently, wisdom in the form of teeth :) And these wisdom teeth were not your average wisdom teeth, they were small little daggers that terrorized my husband during every meal time making eating far less enjoyable. For those of you who know Steve, you understand all too well how devastating this really was. After many agonizing weeks the day came to remove those little suckers that were ruining what usually is the best part of his day!

The surgery went quickly and smoothly, and Steve did great! He was beyond loopy when I met him shortly after the procedure. I really cannot adequately describe the severe stupor he was in and the hilariousness of all his comments. He was far off in his own little world! I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard! All I can say is he emphatically thanked his "friendly friends" at the oral surgeon's office and thoroughly communicated his love for them on the way out. He told me on the way home that he wanted to continue to "brighten the days of all people" and as he reached for the car window button, I acted fast and locked the windows before he could spread the love/embarrass us both :)

Steve's loss of wisdom was my gain, really. From the priceless ride home and countless laughs to the Lord's work on my own heart as I served him and cared for him. Nothing says love and selflessness like replacing bloody gauze in your spouse's mouth! To be honest, I am not always a cheerful servant. In fact, I usually feel annoyed and inconvenienced when Steve gets sick or injured, I lack compassion, and I'm not very eager to meet his needs. This sounds horrible, I know. You may be thinking, "Wow, what a great wife you are! I know who to call when I need a caretaker!" (note heavy sarcasm). This is the reality of my ugly sin. I love my husband dearly, but my nature is not to give up my time, agenda, and comforts to wholeheartedly and joyfully serve him in times of need. This is where I need Jesus. And Christ really met me this time round, granting me a glad heart. I was not glad to see my husband in pain but glad to help him in the midst of that pain, glad to actively communicate my love through making soup and pureed pears or swapping out ice packs or just maintaining the house while he was out of commission, glad to serve him and not myself. I must remember to rely on the Lord not just when the next surgery or illness comes about but in those little everyday moments as well. I know this is what I'm called to and what is ultimately glorifying to God, good for me, and good for my marriage and relationships. As John Piper says, one of the reasons Jesus came to die was "to call us to follow his example of lowliness and costly love." And really to love Steve and others by putting them before myself is not nearly as costly as Christ's sacrifice for our sake.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
.: Philippians 2:5-8 :.

No comments: