Thursday, June 28, 2012

Creed

No, I'm not talking about the 90s rock band with the lead singer who sounds a little like he's growling. I'm talking about the Apostles' Creed. We use it in our liturgy at church. 

Hold up, did I lose you with liturgy? 

I just mean our set of readings during worship each Sunday. 

You back? Ok, good. 

We are taking a further look at the creed in our sermon series right now, and I've been amazed by the significance each word holds and the powerful truths it proclaims. The Apostles' Creed is essentially a statement of the Christian faith based on Scripture. We just examined, "He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried"  in light of what John 10:11 also tells us...

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Our pastor spoke about Jesus Christ's atonement for sin through crucifixion, which may be all too familiar for some of you, but we are a forgetful race, easily blinded, prone to callousness, distracted by the world. We must be reminded. Often. 

The main thing I heard on Sunday was this... Christ's death and suffering is the only atonement for sin -- stop making yourself and other people pay for their sins.

Boom.

Pow.

Can you say conviction?

Dang.

Jesus really meant it when he said, "It is finished." No drop of blood wasted.



More here (6/24 Our Acquittal)

No comments: