These are the three words I would use to define Grandpa Norris : Intelligent, generous, faithful. He was all of these and more.
The first time I met Grandpa was at his home in Ventura, California in 2005. I was living in Santa Monica for the summer, and I joined up with Steve's immediate family during part of their visit to the west coast. Over dinner one night someone asked me how I was enjoying California, and I responded by saying that I was enjoying my time, however it was difficult to be 2,000 miles from home. Grandpa quietly left the room as conversation continued. He returned with a map and corrected my rough estimate by proclaiming the exact number of miles between Santa Monica and my hometown. He was not being disrespectful, he just valued precision. That was Grandpa. Apparently, he also liked hats :)
Come heavenly Dove,
My soul remove
From life’s severe distresses,
To that glorious rest above,
To my Lord’s embraces!
Saviour, to thee
I fain would flee,
I would be always praising,
Spend a whole eternity
In worshipping, and gazing!
Charles Wesley, Short Hymns on Select Passages of the Holy Scriptures (1762)
My soul remove
From life’s severe distresses,
To that glorious rest above,
To my Lord’s embraces!
Saviour, to thee
I fain would flee,
I would be always praising,
Spend a whole eternity
In worshipping, and gazing!
Charles Wesley, Short Hymns on Select Passages of the Holy Scriptures (1762)
No comments:
Post a Comment