Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dumbo

I have to admit I don't like picking up Zenia from the bus stop after school. Let me clarify a bit here... it's awesome when she jumps off the bus, catches sight of me, and runs full force into my body nearly knocking me down as she wraps her little arms around my waist as tight as she can. I love that! What I don't love is that anxious/awkward feeling I get as I slowly walk to the stop before the bus arrives, that uneasy feeling of being excluded. Usually, when I approach the bus stop, all of the other moms are huddled together, rears facing me, chatting and laughing away, never acknowledging my presence or even granting me a quick hello. I feel like Dumbo when all of the other elephants rejected him because of his big ears. I don't think I have big ears, do I? Even if I did, I'm still a person, some sort of verbal greeting would be nice. On a few occasions I've tried initiating with a cheery 'Hello' which was met with a few slight nods and then seemingly forgotten as conversation continued as if I had never spoken a word, as if I was not even there. In my head, I'm like, "Hello!? Over here, I exist! I won't bite. I'm actually pretty friendly and would love to talk to you! I'd appreciate a 'hi' at the very least, seriously!" Most of the time, I keep to myself and just stand back and wait for the bus as the obvious outcast. I don't like that. I'm not bitter, really, just a little sad as it never feels good to be ignored, you know? Moms, if you're reading this, say hi to the nannies at your stop, don't treat them like Dumbo, please. And if you feel so inclined, even strike up conversation, they'll be encouraged, trust me.

No comments: