Mileage: long run = 7, week total = 14-17
Physical: Body feels strong. No muscle cramps or shin
splints, however I did experience pain on the top of my foot last week. I
initially thought it could be a stress fracture based on the location of the
pain. I had a little internal conflict about this thinking, “I can’t believe I’m
injured again! This is ridiculous! I’m going to be in a boot for sure” then the
next second thinking, “This can’t be a stress fracture, I’m young and love
milk!” I went to the doctor to have an x-ray (mostly for peace of mind), which
indicated no fracture. I know what you’re
thinking, some fractures don’t show up on the x-ray. Well, I rested for a week,
iced, elevated, the whole deal, and the pain has subsided. I plan to start
running again today and do a shorter long run this weekend. My self-diagnosis
is overuse as I have never run this much in my life! I will keep stretching a
ton, taking my vitamins, drinking plenty of water, and icing as needed. And I
will start including some strengthening exercises (i.e. leg lifts with ankle
weights) on my cross-training days. AND I will buy new running shoes as soon as
the budget allows :)
Mental: Training schedule has been manageable, so I’m not
stressing about how to squeeze in runs. I haven’t exactly pushed myself during
runs, but I feel confident that I can run the distance and finish well. I only
hope to build on that confidence especially as the weather cools off. The heat
is not a good motivator.
Marriage: Steve & I have been able to encourage one another well. Although we’re not training together, being on the same
schedule has helped to keep us both disciplined. If ever one of us is tempted
to skip a run, we think, “If he/she is running, I’m definitely running!” We’re
not competitive at all.
3 comments:
That's awesome!! YOU CAN DO IT!
You got it girl!! I can't imagine running with an injury :( You're a trooper! I hope the rest of it goes well. Dan and I love running races- it really is great for our marriage! We signed up to do a 9 mile Hot Chocolate race in November- we're pretty pumped :) Miss you!
Thanks ladies! Feeling pretty good, still trying to figure out the aches & pains of running compared to injury. I really am excited about the race!
Post a Comment