Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dremel

My new favorite tool is the Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit. This little diddy is going to save us money and make the whole nail trimming experience less stressful for Riley boy. He DOES NOT like to have his nails trimmed AT ALL. I cannot emphasize that enough. Although he has never been aggressive, every time we go to the groomer’s he barks and jerks and dashes to escape the hands of The Terrible Nail Clipper Person. It’s ugly. And embarrassing. They usually have to call in back-up and muzzle him as a safety precaution. Embarrassing. Last time, he barked so intensely when the handler approached with the muzzle that they turned him away, said they couldn’t trim his nails if they couldn’t get the muzzle on. And Riley was not having that. Embarrassing. I was unsure how he would react to the Dremel, which functions basically like a sander as opposed to the clippers. I followed the instructions exactly. First, I let him sniff it. Then, as Riley sat calmly, I fed him treats while turning the tool on & off so he could get used to the noise. No issues so far. We took a break. And when he was laying down, relaxed, Steve & I sat next to him on the floor, petting and praising him, then I calmly picked up a paw and began the grinding. Nail by nail. He didn't flinch. I was impressed. The Dremel worked like a dream. Riley trusts us, so that certainly helped the process, but the tool itself was far less intimidating and created far less pressure on the nail and paw. I highly recommend it especially if your pooch goes Nervous Nellie for nail trims. Follow the instructions. Take your time. Recruit some help (i.e. Steve, emotional supporter). Stay calm. Provide treats. Enjoy the ease and the savings. 1 trip to Petsmart for nail trims = $20 ($10/dog). 1 Dremel dream worker tool = $25. You do the math.

No comments: