Monday, October 1, 2012

Birthday traditions

My birthday was 2 weeks ago, Sept. 14. I turned 27. Not exactly a milestone but an opportunity to celebrate for sure! I have a couple traditions on my birthday. First, I break down and spend 4-5 bones on a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. I'm not down with shelling out that kind of a cash on coffee on a regular basis, but on my birthday, no hesitation. Grande Pumpkin Spice 3 pump no whip? Yes please. Also, for the last 2 years we've gone camping on my birthday. Last year it was very cold, very windy, and very rainy. Boo. We enjoyed the company of friends & family (when it wasn't raining coming down like rabid cats and dogs), and there was sort of a thrill in battling the elements, however warm, dry camping is more my cup of tea. This year, we enjoyed warm, mostly dry camping at Kerr Reservoir. My dad joined us again along with his dog, Murphy. And after mild coercing, my sister decided to come too, yay! We could not have asked for better weather on Friday and Saturday. Or a better campsite for that matter. We spent most of our time around the campfire and on the beach right in front of our campsite. As mentioned, we did not elude the rain completely. During the wee hours of Sunday morning there was a frenzy. It started raining. The rain guard was not on the tent. We rushed about to put it on as best we could in the dark. There were only a dozen few curse words uttered. Steve would have slept through the whole thing had I not punched him in the arm and told him to help. Don't judge me, it was really early, I was in a daze, I don't usually revert to physical abuse and strict demands. We managed to do what we needed to and the tent stayed dry. However the dryness was short-lived. The rain was not kind enough to stop while we took down camp that morning. Overall, it was a good trip. The rain did not really steal our joy. It may have added stress at the moment, but being together trumped it all. Thanks hubby, Daddy-o, Nat, and pups for making my birthday so special!






No comments: