What I've learned in 2 weeks (and I'm sure I've only hit the tip of the iceberg) is parenting is hard but awesome.
I am exhausted for sure, but I'm also loving life. This feels natural and good. Steve & I both are having fun and learning every day. One lesson learned: babies are not consistent. A strategy that worked one day (even two days in a row) may not work the next day. For example, an evening bath right before bedtime tuckered her out one night then energized her the next. What!? Come on girl, mama needs a little shut eye. Side note: how do some parents do it without coffee or some kind of caffeine? My doctor said caffeine would give baby gas; I said so be it.
Overall, Sam is doing well. Nursing has been successful (so thankful), and baby girl loves to eat (she is a Norris after all). She was 11 oz. above her birth weight at her 2 week doctor's appointment, way to go Sam! She sleeps pretty well. Again, every night is a little different, no rhythm or routine yet. Just survival. I usually get 2-3 hour stretches, and I try to grab at least one nap during the day in between feedings. My mom has been here helping out with the otherwise neglected laundry and dishes. Of course, she's been giving Sam plenty of love too. We've also had many friends bring us dinner already. What a tremendous blessing! TREMENDOUS. Thank you x a million!
Sam does not like baths or getting her diaper changed. She would rather be dirty and warm than clean and cold. She enjoys moving her arms and legs all around and prefers to sleep with her arms above her head (signalling touchdown!). At night, we usually swaddle her because she wakes herself up with those flailing limbs. I have a whole new understanding for what was going on inside me for so long.
Every day we marvel at her expressions, movements, noises, growth, the number of diapers she goes through, and her hair. I still can't get over that dark and full head of hair! We thank God for her and for the privilege and joy to be her parents. Wow, this is amazing.
Almost forgot... the pups! Riley and Penny are doing great! Well, besides eating an entire loaf of homemade bread off the counter while we were in the hospital. Besides that, they are doing great, and we are proud of them. They have had a healthy curiosity for Sam, and they respect her space and stuff. I think they enjoy me being home all day too. We've taken two family walks just to the end of the block and back, that's about all I'm up for right now, but I foresee many more walks in our future. Now, we're going to attempt a family nap...
No comments:
Post a Comment