Yes. It pains me to say this, but Riley sometimes discriminates against the elderly. He especially dislikes those people with walkers, canes and hunchbacks. No joke, we were laying on the couch the other night watching a movie when an elderly man with a walker came on the screen… without hesitation, Riley’s ears perked up, and he unleashed a deep growl. I was like, “Riley! Stop growling at that old man; he’s harmless.” He also barks at the hunchbacked lady who lives in our apartment complex. I wonder if he was abused by an old person as a pup, what a sad thought. Regardless, we are doing our best as parents to end this detestation and teach him love, forgiveness and acceptance. I apologize if he has offended any of you. We are also open to any advice that you can give us about how we should respond to this behavior… Oh, Riley.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Can dogs demonstrate ageism?
Yes. It pains me to say this, but Riley sometimes discriminates against the elderly. He especially dislikes those people with walkers, canes and hunchbacks. No joke, we were laying on the couch the other night watching a movie when an elderly man with a walker came on the screen… without hesitation, Riley’s ears perked up, and he unleashed a deep growl. I was like, “Riley! Stop growling at that old man; he’s harmless.” He also barks at the hunchbacked lady who lives in our apartment complex. I wonder if he was abused by an old person as a pup, what a sad thought. Regardless, we are doing our best as parents to end this detestation and teach him love, forgiveness and acceptance. I apologize if he has offended any of you. We are also open to any advice that you can give us about how we should respond to this behavior… Oh, Riley.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
haha helene you crack me up (because you're so much like me) talking about being a good parent to your dog. can you tell we don't have children yet? :) can't wait to see you guys!!!
Post a Comment