Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Nanny



While I don't resemble or reflect the unforgettable star of the 90s hit sitcom, I will be playing a similar role as caretaker for two kids from a great family. As of July 6th, I will officially be a full-time nanny for 2 little munchkins named Zenia (age 4) & Zubin (age 3). This is a great opportunity for many reasons... A) I instantly connected with the family, and the mom and I have already formed a solid foundation for a lasting relationship. B) I like and agree with their parenting style. C) The parents are incredibly honest and professional and have shown apparent care & concern for their children. D) They provided a fair employment contract that gives me security and some flexibility, and they will be taking out most of the required taxes, so I don't get stuck with a bill rather than a refund at the end of the year. E) They are Indian-American and have already proved their culinary skills. F) They also eat and cook with tons of fresh fruits & veggies, which I have full access to. G) They have shown confidence and trust in my ability to care for their kids and plan fun and educational activities in & out of the house. H) The kids and I are able to go let Riley out in the middle of the day if necessary. The kiddos looove Riley; in fact, they nearly smothered him at their first meeting. I) Both kids are well-mannered and respond pretty well to what I say. J) This job will also be a notch up from a typical nannying position, in that, the mom would like me to lesson plan and spend some structured time (about an hour a day) working with her incredibly bright 4 year-old. So I guess I'm a quasi-tutor too? K) They have a booyah new house! (For readers from a previous generation: booyah, in this context, means big & beautiful!) L) I will get a sweet tan this summer by spending ample time at the neighborhood pool. M) The salary is reasonable and will meet our financial needs. N) Ok ok, I'm done with the letters. If you can't tell, I'm pumped about this job! It's right up my alley. Of course, there are some down sides including the looooong hours 7:30AM - 5:30PM, BUT I think the pros outweigh the cons, and I'm very much looking forward to working with these kids!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Helene. How are you? How is your summer so far? I hope you are enjoying it. Just wanted to say hi and see how are doing.

Have a great day and the rest of the summer.

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

I was hoping you were going to do an A-Z list. Imagine my disappointment when you stopped at N! Hope the job is still going great :)