Sunday, October 18, 2009

Recouping

It was a great comfort to be enveloped with prayer as I entered into my first major surgery. Thanks to all who lifted me up last Tuesday, to those who have lovingly served me, and to those who are continuing to pray for healing. Special thanks to Matt Purdy, our Assistant Pastor, who prayed with us at home before heading over to the surgery center, and to Tim Cornwell, our Youth Director, who prayed with us upon arrival and who waited with Steve while I was under the knife. Surgery was smooth & successful, but the doctor did, in fact, have to repair the meniscus in addition to the ACL reconstruction. I enjoyed anesthesia, and I'm sure it was quite amusing to hear me come out of it. I remember talking with my nurse after the operation, I said "My husband's going to make me banana pancakes this morning... he hates bananas... but he really loves me." The nurse told Steve that he'd better make me banana pancakes.. and he did :)

Recovery has been, so far, nothing short of a roller coaster. One day I'm feeling on the up, the pain is manageable, and my body feels stronger, and the next day I'm stiff, sore, achy, exhausted, and even queasy. My dear friend Jessamyn experienced the worst day thus far. She came over on Thursday shortly after my dad left and before my in-laws arrived to care for me, and I suddenly became overwhelmed with nausea. I felt terribly sick to my stomach, I couldn't eat, and I didn't want to move, blah. The day was downright miserable, but Jessamyn was a trooper and did all she could to make me feel comfortable. The doctor attributed the illness to the pain medication and/or my attempts to return to a regular diet too quickly. Thankfully, the nausea has subsided with the help of some more medicine and by reducing my diet to clear liquids and flavorless carbs, tasty huh? PT starts up in full force tomorrow. I had one session already, but my knee was too swollen to exercise. They drained a good amount of fluid from it, so now it's easier to bend although I still have some pain.. even with meds. I'm learning that recouping from this kind of surgery is a slow and often inconsistent process. I'm working on fighting my frustration with patience, taking it one day at a time, and being ok with resting.

No comments: