I confess that prayerlessness hinders my relationship with God. It seems absurd to not pray, really, I know deep down that I can't do life on my own, so why don't I do it? Why is my life not rich in prayer? Because I am deceived by self all too often to believe that other activities are more worthy, more important, more efficient (I need to get things done), and that I can in fact do life on my own, I can be self-sufficient, I can maintain control, and in the midst of this I forget about my Lord, his sovereignty, "his good, pleasing and perfect will" for my life. I was convicted yet spurred on by this excerpt from Paul Miller's book A Praying Life:
"If you are not praying, then you are quietly confident that time, money, and talent are all you need in life. You'll always be a little too tired, a little too busy. But if, like Jesus, you realize you can't do life on your own, then no matter how busy, no matter how tired you are, you will find the time to pray.
Time in prayer makes you even more dependent on God because you don't have as much time to get things done. Every minute spent in prayer is one less minute where you can be doing something "productive." So the act of praying means that you have to rely more on God."
With that said, let's pray, shall we?
No comments:
Post a Comment