Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Thumbs up to run

That's right folks, the doc gave me the thumbs up to start running again. It will be a slow start as I'm only permitted to do interval running on the treadmill, 5 min. run, 5 min. walk, repeat. In a week or so I can increase to 10 minute intervals then 15 then 20 and on. Regardless of the limitations, I'm glad to finally do some serious cardio!

I will be walking the 10k in March, and although my competitive spirit is crushed, it is the safe call. I don't want to run the risk of re-injuring my meniscus :) Running will be more challenging for my meniscus, and sports, which I'll attempt in another 2 months, will be more challenging for the ACL. I hope to regain full ability, in time. What a lesson in patience this whole recovery has been. For those of you who know me well, you should be amazed at the Spirit's work in thwarting my natural impatience. God's grace has allowed me to wait and trust. I still work diligently to build up strength and flexibility, but I'm free from frustration and disappointment, they do not have a hold on me. What joy!

You can pray that I have this kind of patience while working with 2 pre-schoolers who constantly rebel against me and ignore my instruction. Parents, I know you sympathize. Often I feel like the harder I try to be patient and gentle, the more defiant, resistant, and even silly they get. Maybe that's my problem, trying too hard, rather than surrendering control, submitting to the Spirit, so I can wait, trust, and pray as I've learned to do with my knee. Although my knee is not at as wild and vocal as children can be, it does not do what I want it to do all the time. And do I shout at it or tell it to sit in time out because I'm fed up, no! I rely upon the Spirit for endurance, recognizing my helplessness (and even my sin, shocker!), and wait for healing. Boy, do I need to work on this, or do I?

Lord, help me to put on your patience as my attempts will fail and breed more sin. Remind me that only You change hearts therefore I should not merely try to be more patient or try to alter behavior but relinquish control to your Spirit and allow him to guide my actions and words.

No comments: