Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Plica problem

For the last couple of months I've been training for a sprint triathlon, which is THIS Sunday, October 1oth! I was feeling good, confident, healthy and having no knee trouble at all until..... I felt some knee pain after a run last week :( It was a very normal run, and I don't remember ever misstepping, but I still felt pain unlike the usual soreness. I instantly began to worry and couldn't keep myself from thinking about the worst case scenario like a torn meniscus, nooooo! I could not see my orthopaedic doctor until a week later since he was out of town, so I rested, I waited, I fretted, I worried, I cried, I got frustrated, and all in all, I did a poor job of trusting the Lord. I was so overwhelmed with concern over being unable to do the triathlon or having to undergo another surgery that my faith in God's sovereign plan and timing dwindled. The pain did not subside, and I was certainly nervous going in to see my doctor yesterday BUT he delivered good news that my injury was not serious! [insert major sigh of relief here] The official diagnosis is patella plica syndrome. I know you're thinking, "Huh?" In a nutshell, the plica is a connective tissue in your knee, and mine had thickened due to inflammation in that area and is now catching or being pinched between the patella and femur, ouch! The cause is undetermined, maybe running, overuse, weak quad muscles, who knows? The treatment includes taking anti-inflammatory drugs, stretching, quad & hammy exercises, and a new knee brace to add to my collection :) Most importantly, I can still do the tri!! I'm pumped and now extra motivated as I lost a week of exercise because of all this. I still have pain, but now I know that I'm not causing further damage by using my knee. I must say, I have consistently been impressed with everyone at Advanced Orthopaedic, especially Dr. Z who is very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I am thankful for my doctor, and I am thankful that the Lord answered my prayer even though I lacked in faith. I do believe that God would have provided and cared for me had my injury been more serious but I'm glad it wasn't, phew!

No comments: