I learned a couple things about my dogs last weekend.
First, the Penster. Our little athlete. Who loves water and her frisbee. #stamina #penergy #shegotitfromhermama #atleastIwouldliketothinkso
She ran and swam so hard at the river house that she gave herself lab tail or limber tail. Let me explain: on Sunday morning, we noticed that she had a hard time sitting, she seemed to have pain at the base of her tail, and most apparent of all, her tail was limp. It just hung vertically and did not lift or wag. Pitiful. According to the experts... rather Wikipedia, "Limber tail may be caused by lots of swimming in water that is too cold or too warm, or engaging in heavy exercise of some sort." Bottom line: the girl overexerted herself. Thankfully with some rest and an anti-inflammatory, Penny was back to normal in a few days. More on limber tail here.
--
Now, Riley. Big and loveable. #largestlapdogever
Believe it or not, that last picture IS NOT RILEY! It's a stock image of a Hovawart. "A what?" That's exactly what I asked Jana (pronounced Ya-na), my cousin's German girlfriend, when she asked me if Riley was a Hovawart (pronounced Ho-va-vart). Hovie for short. She told me it was like a Golden Retriever only bigger and the black & tan coat was the most popular. I immediately googled the breed. Google it. Now. Unbelievable! The resemblance is remarkable. And read about the temperament here. Are you kidding me? "Determined, obedient and affectionate" "loyal to the family" "strong sense of territory" "good natured and even-tempered" That. is. Riley. Also, read: "descended from the Newfoundland." This explains so much. I'm fairly confident that Jana thinks I'm crazy. My excitement over this, dare I say, discovery was probably unnecessary. I couldn't help myself. Hovie or not, it tickles me to think there are other "Rileys" out there. We sure do love our boy.
And just for kicks, here is one of my favorite dog photos...
Yes, that is my Mom's 12 lb Yorkie in the middle. And my 80-ish lb Hovawart? being chased.
--
On a completely unrelated note. Steve & I have deactivated our Facebook accounts. Shocking, I know. We'd love to stay connected via email or phone. And of course, we're always encouraged by comments here on the blog :)
--
Also, random... here are some fun pictures from Father's Day weekend when the in-laws came to visit. Browsing through these photos got me excited to see the PA fam again. We're traveling north this weekend to celebrate August & September birthdays!
--
Finally, here's a really funny photo of Steve from our backpacking trip in July. #imarriedabear


No comments:
Post a Comment