Monday, February 28, 2011

Snowshoe

Well, I made it home from Snowshoe Mountain severely sore and badly bruised, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed myself. The battle wounds along with the difficulty sitting for a few days were worth enduring for the memories made. This was my first time snowboarding, and I was slightly reluctant to try since I love skiing, but Steve convinced me that "it would be fun" because "we'd do it together." He urged, "Come on, it's my birthday!" We were together, but it wasn't exactly fun, at first. I clearly remember myself shouting, "People actually do this for fun!?" as I lay belly-up in the snow after falling for the hundredth time. It was a slow and laborious start for both of us, a lot of falling and a lot of failing, but as the day progressed, we grew more confident and able. It was really hard and the burn in our quads was relentless, but we were doing it, doing it together, and it was awesome! What was also "awesome" was getting off the ski lift... I can't help but laugh when I think about how ridiculous and awkward we must have looked every time we arrived at the top trying our hardest to gracefully slide right off but instead teetering and toppling over each other barely missing other people and inevitably landing on our butts holding up the rest of the line. Yep, that was us.


The birthday boy


I can't believe I'm still standing at this point


Sore but smiling


The bear found his den


The sign should say, "To get your butt kicked, go this way"


Rustic is the right word for this West Virginia cabin


Tom & Amanda, our cooks for the weekend - thanks guys for the great food and wonderful company!

1 comment:

Elissa said...

love it! looks like fun-you are brave! sad we had to miss it!