Here's the scoop: I bought one gallon of Sherwin Williams Versatile Gray but needed a little extra to cover the whole room evenly with a second coat. I went back to SW and bought a quart of the same exact paint, same color, finish, and all... so I thought. I got home, popped it open, and started rolling. After rolling a second coat on the remaining wall and cutting a second coat around all the trim, I noticed the gray areas of fresh paint looked slightly lighter in color then the rest of the wall. I turned the fan on and walked away telling myself it had to finish drying. When it had dried, it was clear that the second can of paint I received was not the same color. It was close, really close, but still different. The color codes on the can did not even match. Deflated. That's exactly how I felt. Not angry, just empty and disappointed. I did not fret for long, and before I went back to SW to explain the issue, my husband reminded me to be firm and gracious. So I was.
The employee was not exactly apologetic about the mistake, however, he freely told me some things I should have done in the process. Thank you kind man. I say that sarcastically, but his tips were actually helpful to a paint novice like myself. He was not rude, he just did not take ownership of the error. He did give me a gallon + a quart of paint at no charge.
Here's what I learned:
- If you buy more paint for the same room...
- Make sure the color code (not just the name) matches your initial can of paint. If there is any question, ask the rep.
- Mix the paints. Before you run out of the first can, pour the next can in and stir then continue painting.
- Cut in first, roll second. Then cut in again and roll again for the second coat. The paint rolls on the wall a little differently than brushed. You'll get a more even and seamless result if you paint in that order.
- Firmness coupled with grace is a good solution for a positive customer service experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment