Friday, May 24, 2013

Grandad


That's what we call him. He also goes by John and Mr. Lobi, but he is Grandad to us. He is my step-dad's father, so we're not blood related, however that's never made a difference. At 9 years-old when my Mom married Bob, Grandad (and everyone else!) welcomed my sister, Natalie, and I into the family. He treated us as his own grand-kids showing the same interest, care, and generosity. I didn't know it then, but we were blessed. Truly.

It was not easy being a kid with divorced parents. Natalie & I were constantly back and forth from house to house. Our holidays were divided into 5 different parts in order to see each side of the family. We were often caught in the middle, torn between two people, two families we loved. It was messy, the family dynamics were hard, and the brokenness was overwhelming and outweighed the blessings in our eyes. I would not have chosen it. Being in it now for 20+ years, it is still challenging, however I see how God used it and is still using it for good. So much good. How? We gained a Grandad, for one. We gained a whole host of family members, in fact.

This past weekend we had the privilege of celebrating Grandad's 95th birthday. Yes, ninety. five. That's old, right? He threw himself a party at the Springfield Country Club of which he is the oldest living member, and we gathered with family and friends to enjoy the free food & drinks to honor him. It was a great time together, catching up and laughing, sharing stories, and seeing Grandad's delight as he was surrounded by his loved ones. There was no way he could fall asleep during this party. I was glad to attend, and I was proud to introduce myself to his neighbors and friends as John's granddaughter.

At one point in the evening someone, who will remain unnamed, started chanting, "5 more years, 5 more years!" To which Grandad replied, "Someone shut them up." This shows one of many things I appreciate about Grandad: his candor. If you know him, you know he is unafraid to be frank, to tell you what he really thinks. Well, he told all of us in attendance that night how thankful he was for each person present, how thankful he was for all who have supported and helped him through the years. How could anyone follow those words? How could I/we communicate just how thankful we were for his support, his kindness, the countless ways he has blessed us. I didn't stand up and say anything that night, but Grandad, please know, we are thankful for you. Happy 95th! 5 more years?

No comments: