I've had a few conversations with family members and friends (even strangers) recently about church and faith. It's been refreshing, and I've enjoyed sharing my heart and listening to where others are coming from. The question why do we go to church? has come up more than once. And the answer is not short and simple, yet it is important. There are lots of reasons. I thought I'd give it some attention here on the blog because, like I said, it's important. So why do Steve & I go to church?
For free coffee. Totally kidding! Although it is a perk. Pun intended. Ok, ok, seriously...
For personal growth. Going to church is a main way we grow in our faith. We learn about who God is and how he relates to us.
For community. This is a HUGE blessing that God gives to us through the church. Community. At WEPC, we've found a group of welcoming, loving people with a common faith in Christ and similar values. We know, encourage, and support one another. Some of our closest friends attend church with us. It's fun! And it's like a family, which is significant for Steve & I since our family does not live in Richmond. (Any family members want to move south? :)
To build up our marriage. God is the foundation of our marriage. He is our solid rock, the one who brought us together and sustains us now. We go to church to build upon this foundation.
To hear the gospel and to be reminded of what is true. As Tim Keller puts it, “The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed
in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we
are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.” We hear this every week in church, and it is vital. It puts things into perspective, it refocuses our hearts. We are sinners in need of a savior. We believe that Jesus is that savior. He lived the life we never could, he died to pay the penalty for our sin, and he rose from the grave to conquer sin & death and offer us life. Through him we have forgiveness of sins, a restored relationship with our creator God, and so much more. This is love, this is good news. We really believe this and seek to live in light of it each day.
Personally, it is good to hear at the beginning of each week that I can't do this on my own, but God is with me and loves me unconditionally, to hear that I can love and forgive others because of how much Christ loves and forgives me. Vital. Must remember... Especially on Monday mornings. Word?
To worship God. In light of what God has done for us, we go to church primarily to worship, to honor, to give thanks, to rejoice. We believe that God deserves all our praise and worship. We do this in and out of the church building, yet setting aside focused time to worship at church each week is one way to glorify God and enjoy him.
We go to church for all these reasons and more. Church is important to us. More than that, our relationship with God is important to us. My hope is that we are known by others not merely as church-goers but as people who live out their faith. Who walk the walk. I know we still fall short, we're human, that's why we need to rely on the Lord. That's why we must seek and follow him each day. To him be the glory.
Thanks for reading. I'm always up for talking further about faith and life. Have any more questions? Please ask. I'm also interested in how other people think about this stuff. What are your thoughts on church/God/faith? What has your experience with the church been like? What helps refocus your heart on what matters most? Where do you find community?
1 comment:
Great post! I love that Tim Keller quote.
Post a Comment