Thursday, May 9, 2013

The house fights back (Home-ownership: A 30 Day Series)

Day 27: Today I woke up to Helene saying "You're not going to like this."  We then walked out to the driveway to see that a tree branch had landed on the Camry :-(.  I called State Farm and amazingly enough we were completely covered and have no deductible for things like this.  They told me to take it into an approved shop and have the repairs done.  Thinking I would probably have some of the repairs completed and just take cash for the other damage like scratches and dents, I tried to speak with an estimator at the body shop.  Being too busy, someone from the admin. staff just noted the damage and had me sign the authorization to have the repairs done.  When I called back this morning, they were already halfway through most of the repairs so I could no longer receive a cash settlement for anything, ahhhh!  After a long talk with State Farm and the body shop estimator, we are receiving about half the cash we could have.  Oh well.


Anyways, back to the house.  Yesterday was spent prepping for the carpet installers coming on Wednesday.  I chose to remove the carpet myself, rather than pay the $0.19/sq ft. to remove the old carpet.  Both, Helene and I primed the guest room, which should hopefully be complete before her Mom's visit this weekend.  I also made a large return to Home Depot of extra fence materials.  The fence came in just over budget, but still less than half of what it would cost to have someone else do it.  New carpet comes tomorrow which is another exciting milestone!

God is good.

PS. If Helene's not careful and keeps letting me blog, this blog will quickly turn towards the budget of home improvements, rather than the emotion she likes to write about.  :-)

No comments: