Friday, May 10, 2013

Not easy (Home-ownership: A 30 Day Series)

Day 29: Not one room that I've painted in this house has been easy. Not one. This may sound like complaining. Please hear me though, we are so grateful for this home. We are grateful for every room, every square foot, and it is a joy to paint, to make it our own, and to warm it up for guests. BUT. It is not easy. I'm not going to expound on the quirks of each room or the problems/frustrations each has presented me with. The primer and paint still on my hands and embedded under my nails speaks to the challenge of the task. Again, I am grateful, we are grateful, and we're still having fun.

The guest room will not be ready by the time my mom gets here. I made a lot of progress today but did not finish. Sad. I'm ok with that. We'll just set up the air mattress in the spare bedroom upstairs and call it a day. Projects like painting are taking longer than they should partly because of unexpected issues to fix and partly because we are very detail oriented. And by very, I mean EXTREMELY. It's part of who we are. If you know me, you know I love straight lines (can someone please buy me a t-shirt that says this?), uniformity, and precision. Sometimes to a fault. We want to do things right and well with this house, and we've got time to be so particular. We are also well aware that life will happen in these rooms and things will get messed up. I say again, I'm ok with that. We're pursuing quality work in our home knowing that quality life might stain, crack, scratch, destroy (eek!) the work. But it's just work, it's just a wall, it's just a floor, it's just temporary. Life is far more valuable. Please remind me of this. I know me, I'll need reminding. This is the perspective we want to maintain. Do it well, but hold it loosely.

God is good.

No comments: