Day 30 (2 days late): I spent none of today doing projects. I spent part of today giving my mom a house tour and spending time with her over dinner & wine in Carytown. She came to visit for the weekend and to offer her decorating vision and skills. My mom has such a gift for interior decorating. She has an eye for color & patterns, sizes & shapes. She knows what goes with what, and she has a way of finding stylish and functional pieces. I'm thankful for the way God made her, and I'm grateful she was so willing to help us.
We braved the retail world Saturday on the hunt for light fixtures, a mirror, and anything else that called out to us, "Take me home!" We had a budget, which we did not exceed until... we were sitting on the couch that evening exhausted from our day of shopping and my mom says, "you should get a round table for your dining room." I'm like, "Yeah, we want one eventually, but we don't need it right now." She says, "Let's just get on craigslist to see what's out there and get some ideas." A few clicks later, we are on our way up Parham Rd. to buy a claw foot oak round table with a sizable leaf and 4 chairs. How did this happen? This dining set could not be passed up. It was a steal! The price did not match the detail and quality. The chairs could use some TLC and are nothing to write home about, but they are sturdy. Now, the table. The table is cool. Really cool. (Pictures to come, sorry to leave you hanging).
I really like the things we bought. They make our house feel more like home to some degree. They provide color and design to the neutral walls as well as function for everyday life. However, these things will not last. They certainly will break, wear out, disappoint us one way or another if they haven't already. They matter, but ultimately, they don't matter. They are things, they have no life. They may appear to bring life, but trust me, they don't.
Life is relationship. Relationship matters infinitely more than the things of this world.
The weekend was great not because of the purchases rather the time spent with my mom. Our house is a home because of the relationships we cultivate in it. We were created for relationship. Relationship with God and relationship with others. For real.
This house has sucked up a lot of my time and energy over the last month. It will continue to demand attention, however it does not deserve it all. I want to spend most of my time and energy enjoying my relationships. Praising, serving, and communing with the God who saved me. Spending intentional time with my husband, my love. Sharing and laughing with beloved friends and family. Inviting new friends into my life. Loving those in need. Going deeper with my closest confidantes.
We will continue to do house projects (and I will continue to keep you posted on those) and to buy things for our home. The projects are fun for us (some are necessary) and eventually we have to fill these rooms :) but I refuse to let these things take over and push people out of sight. People matter. Relationships matter. Relationships > House/furniture/decor/fence/walls/floors, etc.
God is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment